Tinto de la Casa, 2019
A complex and rich Malbec, with floral aromas, black pepper and toasty spice notes which are underpinned by lots of black fruit flavours. Opulent, with smooth tannins and balancing freshness through to a long, satisfying finish.
Meet the maker: Matías Riccitelli
Region: Uco Valley, Mendoza – Argentina
Grape(s): Malbec (100%)
14% ABV / 750ml / Vegetarian / Vegan
This blend is the result of co-fermentation of two Malbec sites.
50% of the grapes come from Las Compuertas, which is situated at 1,100 metres above sea-level.
The remaining 50% comes from the premium viticultural area of Gualtallary, where the vines are planted at 1,400 metres above sea-level. The wines produced here have great freshness and a discernible spicy character.
The grapes grow thicker skins at high altitudes to protect themselves against the UV rays, resulting in rich, concentrated wines. The ripe fruit is balanced by the acidity naturally retained at this cooler altitude.
The grapes were fermented with 80% as whole bunches, which added complexity from the stalks, the remaining 20% were destemmed.
Vinification took place in small French oak vats, with wild yeasts at controlled temperatures of 26-28°C. The wine was aged in the same French oak vats until the following vintage.